- Arthur's Pass National Park
- Carrington Hut, 36 bunks; Waimakariri Falls Hut, six bunks
- From SH73, turn off opposite the Klondyke Shelter. Follow the gravel road 1km to a small parking area at the end
- GPX File
- Waimakariri Col (gpx, yo 22 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Ice-axe, crampons and alpine skills are essential on this trip as snow can be found on the Col all year round.
Set out up the true left of the Waimakariri River, crossing as required until Carrington Hut. From here strike out up the Waimakariri River valley.
The route here alternates between tracked beech forest and open riverbed.
The gradient increases as the route passes two major falls – Waimakariri Falls Hut is located in a tarn tarn-spotted tussock basin just above the second falls.
Continue to the head of the valley, most likely wearing crampons soon after leaving the hut. It is easier to cross into the Rolleston west of Pt1845, below Mt Armstrong Glacier, rather than across the actual col itself.
A long sidle across scree slopes, scrub and tussock above the true left of the Rolleston River is required before picking up a marked track which leads to SH73.