The Warrior II pose on its own is excellent for strengthening and stretching the legs, but by adding a backbend you can challenge your balance and stretch through your sides.
- Start in a lunge with your right leg forward. Turn your left heel in and down to the ground so your foot is turning out at about a 45-degree angle.
- Your front right toes should be forward and the front foot in line with the arch or heel of the back foot.
- Lift your chest up and reach your right arm forward and left arm back.
- Bring your back hand to your back thigh.
- Reach up to the sky with your right hand. Then reach back slightly with your right hand and tip slightly back.
- Press down with your left hand to support you, and press your back left thigh up into your hand.
- Looking up will challenge your balance. Hold the pose for a few breaths. Bring your hands down. Then bring your hands to the ground and come back to a lunge and do the other side.