- Total Ascent
- 2-3hr each way
- Rapid Creek Hut (4 bunks, $5)
- From Whitcombe Valley Road end, south-east of Hokitika
- Notes & Map
- Rapid Creek Hut, Westland (pdf, 513 KB)
- GPX File
- Rapid Creek Hut, Westland (gpx, yo 15 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Get ready for a real ride on this trip. Rapid Creek Hut can only be accessed via a cage attached to a flying fox – one person and pack at a time.
The cage is suspended high above the roaring blue Hokitika River and it’s a nifty way to reach the small hut on the far side after tackling the rough track from the road end.
This is deepest, darkest Westland where big rivers, bold mountains, tall forest and plenty of rain are standard fare. Hopefully you won’t have too much of the latter, but going in winter, when there is often long fine, but cold, spells of weather, will up your chances of a successful trip.
The four-bunk hut is small and a bit damp at times, so don’t bring a crowd.
Keep a sharp lookout around Rapid Creek for pairs of blue duck – the birds are often seen here.