Have you got what it takes to shoot Wilderness magazine’s outdoor photograph of the year?
We’re calling on all aspiring outdoor photographers to enter the 2020 Wilderness Photo Competition. And this year, we’ve got some amazing experiences to offer our category winners.
So don’t forget to pack your camera, or smartphone, on your upcoming summer trips – everyone who submits a photo in the competition is in with a chance!
The categories and prizes
For the wilderness photos that make you go ‘wow’. Whether taken from a mountaintop or deep in the bush, it should be a view to savour and the best photos will feature trampers, climbers, kayakers, bikers – anyone enjoying New Zealand’s wilderness.
Huts and camping
Celebrate the uniqueness of New Zealand hut life and locations, or share the perfect camping scene.
Whether it’s birds, insects, plants, trees or a lone deer or chamois photographed in the mountains, send us your best shots of NZ’s flora and fauna.
How to enter
- Send your full-size, hi-resolution photos to email@example.com by March 3, 2020 (please limit file size to 15mb)
- State which of the three categories you are entering
- Include your full name, phone number and address
- Supply a brief (30 words max) caption that includes:
● Camera settings used in capturing the shot
● Information such as where the photo was taken and why this particular scene caught your eye.
- Photos should be taken in New Zealand and be of New Zealand huts, scenes, fora and fauna.
- Find full entry details and competition terms and conditions – keyword search ‘2020 photo competition’.
- See full terms and conditions at the bottom of this article.
Thanks to our sponsors, we’re able to offer each of our three winners an amazing outdoor experience that will provide lifelong memories – not to mention more great photo opportunities.
Grand prize: A four-day Rabbit Pass Alpine Traverse worth $2350 with Aspiring Guides (pictured above)
Located in Mt Aspiring National Park, this four-day alpine crossing links two of the region’s major river valleys. This spectacular area is surrounded by high glacier-covered peaks, waterfalls and lakes and is home to many rare and endangered species. You will not find a better way to experience the stunning alpine scenery of New Zealand, surrounded by unspoilt forests, alpine meadows, huge waterfalls and alpine lakes. An Aspiring Guides’ professional guide will help you safely explore this remote and seldom-visited area. Find out more at www.aspiringguides.com.
Second prize: A two day Brewster Glacier Trek worth $1480 with Adventure Consultants
The Brewster Glacier Trek is a true alpine trekking adventure in Mt Aspiring National Park.
Tucked into the eastern corner of park, the Brewster Glacier is a hidden gem and offers stunning views and varied trekking. After crossing the Haast River at Fantail Falls, a relatively short, steep climb through beech forest leads to the alpine tussock tops and the stunningly-situated Brewster Hut. From the hut, trekking options with your guide include a visit to the Brewster Glacier or climbing to the top of nearby Mt Armstrong (2179m). In two days, you will experience a wilderness environment and come back with tired legs but also by being refreshed and re-charged from your time in the mountains. Find out more at www.adventureconsultants.com.
Third prize: A three-day Ball Pass Summit trek worth $1250 with Alpine Recreation
Trek through amazing alpine terrain, surrounded by New Zealand’s highest peaks and longest glaciers. Enjoy two nights in the private Caroline Hut, savouring the fabulous views of the 2000m-high Caroline Face of Aoraki/Mt Cook. Relax in its wonderful setting on the Ball Ridge, high above the Tasman Glacier. You’ll also explore the Ball Glacier with your guide on the way to Ball Pass and climb Kaitiaki Peak from where there are superb photo opportunities of the Hillary Ridge, the Hooker Valley and Mt Sefton and the Copland Pass. Find out more at www.alpinerecreation.com.
Photo Competition Terms and Conditions
- Images should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of the category you are entering. E.g.: Out there, Huts and camping, Wildlife.
- You can submit as many entries as you like, but each entry must be in a separate email.
- To ensure your photos reach us, please ensure each image is no larger than 20MB.
- The closing date is Thursday, March 3 2020.
- The competition is open to residents of New Zealand, excluding employees of Lifestyle Publishing and their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- Any one person may enter as many photos as they like. Late, illegible, incomplete, or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- Entry for photos is only via email submission to email@example.com.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- No parties will be responsible in any way for the publication of an entry that is subsequently found to be in breach of copyright. Any such entry will be immediately disqualified.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- Copyright of all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. Winning and shortlisted images may be used by Wilderness magazine, the wildernessmag.co.nz website and the Wilderness social media channels free of charge for publicity purposes in connection with this competition for a duration of no more than five years and will be credited if used.
- Wilderness magazine and wildernessmag.co.nz reserve the right to retain entries on file for possible future use. Any pictures used for Wilderness’s editorial or other promotional uses will be paid at our normal reproduction rate.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives. In the unlikely event that a prize should become unavailable, the parties involved reserve the right to substitute a prize of their choosing.
- Winners will be notified within 14 days of the closing date.
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions.