Lunges are a simple way to stretch and strengthen your legs and there are endless variations. Twisting in your torso can stretch through your shoulders, back and sides – which feels great after a long day of wearing a heavy pack. Here’s how to do the ‘Lunge with a twist’:
- Start with your feet hip-width apart. Squat down and step your left foot back.
- Keep your left heel up and over your toes. Make sure your front right knee is over the top of, or behind, your right ankle.
- With your left fingertips or palm on the ground, bring your right hand to your right knee.
- Press down with your right hand and lift your right shoulder, starting to look to the right and beginning the twist in your upper torso.
- If this feels ok, lift your right hand up to the sky and maybe look up.
- Don’t forget about your legs though! Press down through your front foot as if you’re pushing that foot through the ground. Don’t drop your back left thigh.
- When finished, bring your right hand back to the ground. Step your back foot forward to a squat and change sides.