- Mt Somers Conservation Area
- Woolshed Creek Hut, 26 bunks
- The walkway is signposted on the Ashburton Gorge Road^ 10km north-west of Mt Somers
- GPX File
- Woolshed Creek Hut (gpx, yo 8 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
The track begins easily enough and passes along a high forested terrace above the river. The track then turns up a hill and begins a steep ascent along the line of the old bush tramway which once ferried coal from a mine site above and on down Woolshed Creek.
There’s little left now, save for a few wrecked coal trucks lying upended in the forest. They make an interesting diversion before the ascent continues.
The track follows the creek the rest of the way to the hut, which has 26 bunks.