- Ruahine Forest Park
- Rangiwahia Hut (serviced, 13 bunks); Triangle Hut (standard, six bunks)
- The two most common approach is from Renfrew Road. An alternative route starts from Table Flat Road end
- Notes & Map
- Triangle Hut, Ruahine Forest Park (pdf, 1 MB)
- GPX File
- triangle Hut (gpx, yo 14 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
From Renfrew Road end, take the well-maintained track to Rangiwahia Hut (1300m).
Continue along the tops, much of which are exposed and may require ice axes and crampons in winter, to the track junction, which is also the highest point on the trip at 1556m, near Mangahuia.
Head left along the Whanahuia Range before dropping down towards Triangle Hut (six bunks) in the headwaters of the Oroua River.
This is a steep, knee-grinding descent.