- Arthur's Pass National Park
- Sudden Valley Bivouac (free, two bunks)
- Off SH73, north of Cass. Take the gravel road to the Mt White Bridge over the Waimakariri River. Follow the signpost to Hawdon Shelter and the track up Hawdon Valley. Sudden Valley enters the Hawdon 1km up valley
- GPX File
- Sudden Valley Biv (gpx, yo 7 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
The secluded post glacial Sudden Valley features a glacier, the Barrier Falls, and a two-bunk bivouac all reached on a rough route that passes through a narrow gorge.
Half-way through the gorge, The Chute enters the canyon, a steep, stony gully that allows access to the waterfall bypass track. It,s important to take this bypass to avoid very difficult terrain.
Once above the gorge, the trail becomes steadily easier until the bivvy is reached.