- Nelson Lakes National Park
- 26.9km via Lakehead Track
- Total Ascent
- Lake head Hut ($15, 28 bunks); Coldwater Hut ($5, 12 bunks); John Tait Hut ($15, 27 bunks); Cupola Hut ($5, 8 bunks)
- From Lakehead Track at St Arnaud of Coldwater Hut at the head of Lake Rotoiti
- GPX File
- Cupola Hut via Lakehead Track.Nelson Lakes (gpx, yo 94 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Hike Lakehead Track to Lakehead Hut (or catch a water taxi and save yourself a few hours).
Coninue up the Travers Valley to John Tait Hut. One option is stay here before carrying on to Cuploa Hut a further 2.5hr away.
This route is part of Te Araroa Trail and is well maintained. If you have the time, a worthy side trip from Cupola Hut is to climb to the saddle between Mt Cupola and Pt2120.
The view from here is second to none and encompasses the Sabine Valley to the west and the Traverse Valley to the north.