Core strength is an essential part of keeping your balance while tramping, especially if your pack is heavy. The simple ‘boat’ pose is effective and has two variations.
- Sit on the floor, hold onto your knees and tip back slightly to lift your toes off the floor.
- Lift your chest up and focus on a long spine with shoulders relaxed down from your ears. (Photo, left)
- To work harder, let go of your feet and reach your arms forward. (photo, right)
- Keep breathing.
- For more work, lift your feet up to the height of your knees.
- Hold the pose for 20-30 seconds. Take a rest and then repeat 2-4 times.