Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk, Te Urewera
Though the Lake Waikaremoana Track is a Great Walk, it is often overlooked by local trampers and tourists.
But what the 46km track lacks in the grandeur seen on some of the southern Great Walks, it makes up for in diversity of the forest the trail passes through.
The walk can be done in either direction and it’s best to break the tramp into four days. By taking your time, you’ll be able to explore some of the side tracks, like the trail to Korokoro Falls, and enjoy the various swimming opportunities the lake offers.
Some highlights include views of the lake on the climb up and over Panekire Bluffs, the goblin forest on the approach to, and descent from, the bluffs, and the constantly changing characteristics of the vegetation hiked through as the track winds around the lake. There are sections where ferns and ponga trees dominate, while in other areas the forest is entirely beech or manuka and down by the lake raupo reeds grow.
– Mead Norton
- Total Ascent
- Easy / Moderate
- 12-16hr total walking time
- Panekire Hut ($32, 36 bunks); Waiopaoa Hut ($32, 30 bunks); Korokoro Campsite ($14); Marauiti Hut ($32, 26 bunks); Waiharuru Hut ($32, 40 bunks); Whanganui Hut ($32, 18 bunks)
- Park at Onepoto and hike from there, or take a water taxi to Hopuruahine landing
- Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk (gpx, 147 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.