- Total Ascent
- Car park to Heather Jock Hut, 3-4hr; Heather Jock Hut to Mt Larkins, 8hr return
- Heather Jock Hut (free, three bunks); Kelly Hut (free, six bunks)
- From Whakaari Conservation Area car park on the Queenstown Glenorchy Road, 2km before Glenorchy
- CB10, CA10
- GPX File
- mt-larkin-whakaari-conservation-area (gpx, 30 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Mt Larkins, Whakaari Conservation Area
After asking at the DOC information centre for advice on a demanding overnight hike with some decent altitude near Queenstown, we were directed to Mt Larkins.
The magic of this summit is not only in its 2300m height and outstanding panoramic views, but for the fact that the way up from Heather Jock Hut is not signposted and therefore off the beaten track.
Heather Jock Hut is reached on the Mt Judah Track, an old mining trail that passes the Glenorchy Scheelite Battery and other historic mining huts for day use only. Heather Jock sleeps three and there is information in the hut on the best route ...