- 3.03km to Inland Pack Track
- Total Ascent
- 2.5hr return to Inland Pack Track junction
- From the car park by the Pororari River bridge, 1km north of the Visitor Centre on SH6
- Notes & Map
- pororari-river-track-west-coast (pdf, 435 KB)
- GPX File
- Pororari River Track.West Coast (gpx, yo 9 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Pororari River Track, West Coast
If you’re at Punakaiki and want to escape the crowds at Pancake Rocks, a short walk along the Pororari River Track will do the trick.
The track passes through the lush, forested river valley, surrounded on all sides by dramatic limestone cliffs and bluffs, eventually reaching Paparoa National Park and a junction with the recently reopened Inland Pack Track.
A 15-minute walk from the car park brings you to a seat and a lookout over the river. The track continues for another 2.5km to the Inland Pack Track.
This sub-tropical forest, with uncountable shades of green and diverse leaf shapes of nikau palms, tree ferns and towering rata, is a delight to walk through. Wildlife abounds – weka cross the track and tomtit, bush robins, kereru, tuis and bellbirds fly overhead. Shoals of fish can be seen in the dark pools.
– Premysl Luljak