Have you got what it takes to snap the Wilderness Outdoor Photo of the Year? You have until March 4, 2022, to submit your best images.
Follow these tips to give yourself the best shot at winning.
1- You can enter multiple images, but you should only include one image per emailed entry.
2- The best photos tell a story – human or animal elements can bring personality, colour and excitement to an image.
3- Dare to be different. Every year we get dozens of images of kea, the Kepler Track, Mueller Hut and Aoraki/Mt Cook. Find unique places and subjects, or frame classic vistas in new ways.
4- We use dozens of entries to illustrate stories in future issues of the magazine (which we pay for). This means the best photos reflect the content of the magazine and should be taken in the great outdoors – not your garden. (House cats and lupins are out; huts, rock wren and mountains are in.)
The three categories
1. Out there
For the wilderness photos that make you go ‘wow’. Whether taken from a mountaintop or deep in the bush, it should be a view to savour and the best photos will feature people in the landscape – trampers, climbers, kayakers, bikers; anyone enjoying New Zealand’s wilderness.
2. Huts and camping
Celebrate the uniqueness of New Zealand hut life and locations, or share the perfect camping scene.
Whether it’s birds, insects, plants, trees or a lone deer or chamois captured in the mountains, send us your best shots of NZ’s flora and fauna.
The photographer who takes the image judged to be the best entry will win a Panasonic Lumix G85 with 12-60mm lens worth $1199. Weather-resistant and dustproof design make it the perfect outdoor companion.
The runner-up will receive a Panasonic FZ300 camera valued at $899. This weather-resistant and dustproof all-in-one camera features a 24x zoom F2.8 Leica lens.
The third-place getter will receive a Panasonic TZ90 travel camera ($599) with 30x zoom, viewfinder and wi-fi for easy connection to your phone.
How to Enter
- Send your full-size, hi-resolution photos to email@example.com by March 4, 2022 (please limit file size to no more than 20mb).
- State which of the three categories you are entering.
- Include your full name, phone number and address.
- Supply a brief (30 words max) caption that includes:
- A caption explaining where the photo was taken and why this particular scene caught your eye.
- Camera settings used in capturing the shot.
- Photos should be taken in New Zealand and be of New Zealand huts, scenes, fora and fauna.
Photo Competition Terms and Conditions
- Images should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of the category you are entering. E.g.: Out there, Huts and camping, Wildlife.
- You can submit as many entries as you like, but each entry must be in a separate email.
- To ensure your photos reach us, please ensure each image is no larger than 20MB.
- The closing date is March 4, 2022.
- The competition is open to residents of New Zealand, excluding employees of Lifestyle Publishing and their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- Any one person may enter as many photos as they like. Late, illegible, incomplete, or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- Entry for photos is only via email submission to email@example.com.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws.
- Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- No parties will be responsible in any way for the publication of an entry that is subsequently found to be in breach of copyright. Any such entry will be immediately disqualified.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- Copyright of all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. Winning and shortlisted images may be used by Wilderness magazine, the wildernessmag.co.nz website and the Wilderness social media channels free of charge for publicity purposes in connection with this competition for a duration of no more than five years and will be credited if used.
- Wilderness magazine and wildernessmag.co.nz reserve the right to retain entries on file for possible future use. Any photos used for Wilderness’s editorial or other promotional uses will be paid at our normal reproduction rate.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives. In the unlikely event that a prize should become unavailable, the parties involved reserve the right to substitute a prize of their choosing.
- Winners will be notified within 14 days of the closing date.
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions.