Calling all aspiring outdoor photographers: don’t forget to pack your camera, or smartphone, on your upcoming summer trips – everyone who submits a photo in the competition is in with a chance to become Wilderness magazine’s photographer of the year and to win top of the range camera gear from Panasonic.
*** ENTRIES HAVE NOW CLOSED. The winning images will be published in the April 2019 issue. ***
For the wilderness photos that make you go ‘wow’. Whether taken from a mountaintop or deep in the bush, it should be a view to savour and the best photos will feature trampers, climbers, kayakers, bikers – anyone enjoying New Zealand’s wilderness.
Huts and camping
Celebrate the uniqueness of New Zealand hut life and locations, or share the perfect camping scene.
Whether it’s birds, insects, plants, trees or a lone deer or chamois photographed in the mountains, send us your best shots of NZ’s flora and fauna.
Photography tips: Check out our Photo School articles for top tips on how to take winning photos.
The Panasonic prizes
The Wilderness Photograher of the Year winner
The photographer who takes the image judged to be the best entry will win a Panasonic G85 camera with a 12-60mm lens valued at $1599. Lightweight and compact, the camera features Panasonic’s Dual IS stabilisation technology to ensure photos will come out sharp and clear without the need to carry a heavy tripod. Weather and dust proof design make it the perfect outdoor companion.
The second-place getter will receive a Panasonic FZ300 camera valued at $799. The ideal all-in-one travel camera, the FZ300 features a 24x lens with a constant F2.8 aperture which makes distant objects appear up close and crisp.
The third-place getter will receive a Panasonic FT7 valued at $699.Waterproof to 31m and freezeproof down to -10℃, there are not many places this camera can’t go.
How to enter
- Send your full-size, hi-resolution photos to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 28 (Please limit file size to 15mb)
- State which of the three categories you are entering
- Include your phone number and address
- Supply a brief (30 words max) caption that includes camera settings used in capturing the shot and information such as where the photo was taken and why this particular scene caught your eye.
Terms and conditions
- Images should be submitted by email to email@example.com with the subject line of the category you are entering. E.g.: Out there, Huts and camping, Wildlife.
- You can submit as many entries as you like, but each entry must be in a separate email.
- To ensure your photos reach us, please ensure each image is no larger than 20MB.
- The closing date is Thursday, March 4 2019.
- The competition is open to residents of New Zealand, excluding employees of Lifestyle Publishing and their families, agents or anyone professionally connected with the competition.
- Any one person may enter as many photos as they like. Late, illegible, incomplete, or corrupt entries will not be accepted. No responsibility can be accepted for lost entries and proof of transmission will not be accepted as proof of receipt. Entries must not be sent through agencies or third parties.
- Entry for photos is only via email submission to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All images submitted must be the work of the individual submitting them and must not have been published elsewhere or have won a prize in any other photographic competition. It is the responsibility of each entrant to ensure that any images they submit have been taken with the permission of the subject and do not infringe the copyright of any third party or any laws. Entrants must warrant that the photograph they are submitting is their own work and that they own the copyright for it.
- No parties will be responsible in any way for the publication of an entry that is subsequently found to be in breach of copyright. Any such entry will be immediately disqualified.
- All entries must be received by the advertised closing time and date.
- Copyright of all images submitted for this competition remains with the respective entrants. Winning and shortlisted images may be used by Wilderness magazine, the wildernessmag.co.nz website and the Wilderness social media channels free of charge for publicity purposes in connection with this competition for a duration of no more than five years and will be credited if used.
- Wilderness magazine and wildernessmag.co.nz reserve the right to retain entries on file for possible future use. Any pictures used for Wilderness’s editorial or other promotional uses will be paid at our normal reproduction rate.
- All prizes are non-transferable and there are no cash alternatives. In the unlikely event that a prize should become unavailable, the parties involved reserve the right to substitute a prize of their choosing.
- Winners will be notified within 14 days of the closing date.
- The Judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition, you agree to accept and be bound by these terms and conditions.