DOC is investigating allegations a Tongariro Alpine Crossing shuttle operator breached rules over the Waitangi Day weekend by transporting hundreds of hikers despite hazardous conditions.
At least two rival operators have complained that Tongariro Expeditions ran multiple services to the track, despite a hazardous weather advisory issued for the day.
“It is a condition of Tongariro Alpine Crossing transport operators’ concessions that they must adhere to the official NIWA weather advisories and not operate on days where there is a Hazardous Weather Advisory,” DOC Tongariro operations manager Libby O’Brien said.
“We are currently investigating this particular incident, alongside past behaviour of operators, and will consider the appropriate action against the operator in question.” DOC had made it clear to shuttle operators they have a “duty of care” to their customers and risk losing their concession if they breach advisory rules, O’Brien said. Read more from NZ Herald.
First kākāpō chick in four years hatches on Valentine’s Day
Kākāpō Yasmine hatched an egg fostered from kākāpō Tīwhiri on Valentine’s Day, bringing the total number of kākāpō to 237 – though it won’t be officially added to the population until it fledges.
DOC Operations Manager for kākāpō/takahē Deidre Vercoe says the first chick of the breeding season is an exciting moment on the long road to recovery for this critically endangered species.
“These exceptionally rare taonga only breed every 2–4 years, so it’s a long time between chicks. We have more breeding-age birds than ever before this season, so we’re anticipating many more chicks to come.”
Deidre says fostering eggs and chicks between different kākāpō mums is one way to improve nest success rates.
Kākāpō face a range of challenges with low hatching success being a key obstacle. So far this season there are 187 eggs, and 74 of them are fertile. Of those, not all will hatch, and not all chicks will survive through to fledging.
“The kākāpō population was once down to just 51 birds which created a genetic bottleneck we are still managing today,” says Deidre. “Kākāpō are one of the most intensively managed species in the world and while numbers are still so low, the breeding season requires a lot of intervention. Read more from DOC.
Famous ice caves open to hikers for the first time in 11 years
For the first time in more than a decade, the USA’s Apostle Islands National Lakeshore opened access to its famous ice caves to hikers on Monday, giving a handful of lucky visitors the chance to make the miles-long trek across Lake Superior’s frozen surface.
Worn into the sandstone shoreline by millennia of wave action and freeze-thaw cycles, the Apostle Islands’ caves are a popular objective for kayakers in the summertime. In wintertime, seeping water festoons the caves with ice pillars and chandeliers. Accessing the caves requires hikers to make a 3.5km to 10km round trip across lake ice.
Prior to this week, the National Park Service had not opened the ice caves to the public since the winter of 2014-2015. Even during the polar vortex of 2019, when ice covered 80 percent of Lake Superior, slushy and unconsolidated ice on the lake surface prevented hikers from making the trek. Read more and see photos of the ice caves at Backpacker.
Gov’t announces three long-term DOC concessions
Long-term Department of Conservation concessions have been granted to three iconic southern tourism locations by the Minister of Conservation Tama Potaka.
The concessions include a 38-year concession to NZSki for The Remarkables Ski Area, a 30-year guided walking concession to Tourism Milford Limited (Ultimate Hikes) on the Milford Track and a 25-year concession to RealNZ for the Te Ana-au Caves.
Potaka said the long-term tourism concessions would support jobs, strengthen regional economies, and keep visitor access open at key South Island destinations.
Tourism and Hospitality Minister Louise Upston said the decision would provide important confidence for the tourism sector and the regional economies that depend on it.
MP for Southland Joseph Mooney said he was delighted at the announcement which was great news for Southland and Otago and would strengthen both provinces’ economies and keep visitor access open at key South Island destinations. Read more from Southland App.
World champion wingsuit skydiver dies in parachute fail
French world champion skydiver Pierre Wolnik has died after his parachute failed to open during a jump over France’s highest mountain, Mont Blanc.
Wolnik had completed his wingsuit flight and reached a low altitude where he needed to release his parachute. Instead, it failed to open and Wolnik hit the ground at high speed, dying at the scene from his injuries. The French Parachuting Federation announced his death on social media.
“It is with profound sadness that we announce the passing of Pierre Wolnik,” the message read. “Pierre leaves behind the memory of a teammate whose presence will forever be etched in the hearts of his loved ones.
Although wingsuit fliers are known for base jumping, which is considered one of the most dangerous sports in the world, skydiving is usually relatively safe. Depending on yearly variation, there is around 1 death per 200,000 to 400,000 jumps recorded in the US, according to the United States Parachute Association. Read more from NZ Herald.





