- Ruahine Forest Park
- Shutes Hut ($5, four bunks)
- Take the Napier-Taihape Rd via Kurikapango. Turn off onto Comet Rd. Comet Hut and the start of the track is at the end of the road
- Notes & Map
- Shutes Hut, Ruahine Forest Park (pdf, 1 MB)
- GPX File
- Shutes Hut (gpx, yo 5 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Take a step back in time with a day or overnight trip to historic Shute’s Hut, a rabbiter’s hut built in 1920 and made with local stone and cement mortar.
From Comet Rd the track zigzags its way steadily downhill through kanuka, beech and pine forest before emerging on the banks of the Taruarau River.
From the river it’s a short hop, skip and jump to the nearby hut. History buffs will love what the hut has to offer: a logbook going back 40 years or more.
The area is wild and remote and the river prone to flooding.