- Aoraki/Mt Cook National Park
- Onslow Hut (basic, four bunks)
- From the Tasman Valley Road car park
- GPX File
- Onslow Hut (gpx, yo 10 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Access into the Murchison valley can be tricky as it involves crossing the Tasman Glacier. Appropriate care and equipment should be taken – and check the glacier conditions with DOC at Mt Cook Village before attempting to cross.
Take the marked track from the road end to just past Ball Shelter and then angle down the moraine wall onto the glacier. Strike out across the glacier, aiming for just above the northernmost lake and then enter the Murchison.
DOC recommends heading up the Murchison on the true right, but assess the situation as the moraine walls in the valley are prone to movement. You should reach Onlsow Hut within 8 hours.