- Nelson Lakes National Park
- 3 days plus
- John Tait Hut, 27 bunks; Lakehead Hut, 28 bunks; Camping at Summit Creek
- From St Arnaud, along the Lakehead Track to John Tait Hut
- GPX File
- Mt Travers (gpx, yo 31 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Tramp the Lakehead Track from St Arnaud to Lakehead Hut (or if time is pressing, take a much quicker water taxi).
From Lakehead Hut, continue on up the Travers River Valley to John Tait Hut.
Tracks in this area are well-maintained and easy to follow.
From John Tait Hut, things get a bit more difficult. Continue along Travers Track past the junction to Cupola Hut, around Travers Falls until the bridge spanning Summit Creek.
Head off track here, bashing your way up Summit Creek to its basin where you can camp for the night.
The route to Mt Travers involves a steep scramble up the northern ridge.
There are markers of any sort here – vague constructions that resemble rock cairns.
A wooden stick marks the summit and the views are extensive.