- Mt Aspiring National Park
- Brewster Hut ($15, 12 buks)
- SH 6 between Haast Pass and the Gates of Haast. A DOC sign advertises Fantail Falls (five minutes) and Brewster Hut (three to four hours)
- GPX File
- Mt Armstrong (gpx, yo 3 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
The track is a classic Mt Aspiring National Park grunt.
It starts at the bottom of a long spur, and just follows it straight up with tree-root handholds when needed, never overly steep but never allowing any respite.
The 12-bunk Brewster Hut is reached in about three hours and sits on the only real bit of flat ground anywhere on the trip.
It’s about a 1000m climb from the road to the hut.
From the hut, find your own route to the summit of Armstrong. There are some reasonably exposed sections, but the ground is stable, the rock climbing not unreasonably demanding.