- Makino Conservation Area
- Rerekapap Hut (Private, p: 06 752 6818)
- From Moki Rd, near Tahora. The track starts at the corner of Moki and Rerekino Rds by the Waitara River bridge
- Notes & Map
- Moki Track, Makino Conservation Area (pdf, 1 MB)
- GPX File
- Moki Track (gpx, yo 13 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
The Moki Track follows the south bank of the upper Waitara River. The track was once a surveyed road alignment that was to be developed to service the rehabilitation farms of soldiers after the First World War.
Three farms were established in the valley; the remains of two homesteads can be seen along the eastern end of the track.
Land that was cleared is now regenerating.The track is levelled and well graded for most of its length though the terrain is considered tough.
There are five suspension bridges. Both ends of the track pass through 3km of farmland before entering the forest, which contains good stands of tawa, kamahi and rimu.
A return trip is necessary, unless prior transport arrangements have been made. Or, connect this walk with the nearby Rerekapa Track.
You could start the tramp from the eastern end, hike 12km of roads and stay at the 16 bunk Rerekapa Biv if you were looking for an overnighter.