- Kaimai-Mamaku Forest Park
- 8.65km one way
- 5-7hr to Kauritatahi Hut
- Kauritatahi Hut (basic, three bunks)
- 35km north of Tauranga, turn off SH2 into Thompsons Track Rd. Follow this to the car park, 5km from SH2
- GPX File
- Kauritatahi Hut (gpx, yo 19 KB)
- Your device does not support GPX files. Please try a different device.
Thompsons Track is often used by 4WDs and trail bikers so is wide and can be muddy and rutted in places. Take this track until the junction with the North-South Track.
Head south for about 1km until a marked and signposted track leaves the North-South track and leads up the eastern flanks of Ngatamahinerua (848m).
The exposure here can be unnerving. Once on the plateau, the track becomes rutted and can be water-logged. It takes about 40min of bush-bashing along the overgrown path to reach a sign pointing left to the three-bunk Kauritatahi Hut.